Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Florida Training Camp

So to kick off my decision to make a run at the pro ranks, I decided to come down to Florida for a few weeks in December for a mini training camp with a bike heavy focus. Why bike heavy? Simple. Biking will be the hardest thing to do when I return to Oklahoma for the holidays as I absolutely refuse to train indoors unless I have to. Why? I despise it. But more on that later.

My first stop off along the way was in Georgia at the Dauset Trails Nature Center. The trails were good and technical and easy to follow and I was loving it. I ran fast. That night I arrived in Gainesville and after checking out the local nightlife downtown, I made it back to my car and what turned out to be an excellent spot to stay the night. With 70 degree days and 60 degree nights, bike lanes and wide shoulders everywhere, and beautiful places like Morningbird Nature Trails to run off the beaten path (and concrete), Gainesville was the perfect place to kick off a training camp and get my body used to the continuous biking and running necessary to build a solid base.

After a few days I needed a shower. Bad. Luckily for me, I got in touch with my cousin in the western pandhandle of the state and arrived dirty and stinking like mad after a nice ride through the Appalachicola National Forest along the way. The weather cooled off but it didn't stop me from riding big and running (as much as possible after a twisted ankle in the Bear Creek Educational Forest). And quickly, it warmed up again, living up to it's slogan of The Sunshine State as I steadily and increasingly bumped my mileage up day to day with every 4th day being a recovery day.

Which brings me to where I am now. 12 days, 5700 yards swimming, 55 miles running, and 410 miles biking behind me and a plan for these last 4 days of my mini-training camp to be so huge that I ALMOST blow up my already heavily fatigued body.

Let's do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment