Sunday, March 10, 2013

Shaking the Rust Off

Today marked the first outdoor triathlon of the year for me and it didn't disappoint. I somehow got it in my head that the race started at 8:30. It started at 8:15. So at 8:13 I was casually walking through transition down to the beach when I realized my error. Quickly I had a volunteer zip up my wetsuit as I sprinted off towards the water. Only to realize my goggles and swim cap were still stuck in my jersey pocket. With no time to unzip the wetsuit, I tried yanking them out with it still on. It almost worked. Unfortunately for me however, this caused the rubber fitting on my goggle to come off! Luckily they had just started the national anthem and I had another minute or so. When the lens came out as well! Calmly I figured out I could snap it back in and shortly after by a stroke of pure luck (this took me 30' later...) I somehow got the rubber piece back on and aligned just good enough to mostly seal the water from coming in... Seconds before the gun goes off!

Like a shot I'm off. Heart rate is already good and up and I'm off sprinting (as much as one can in 2-3 feet of water) down the shallower right side of the beach with the lead group. Soon though my arms become jello and I fall off the pace and, as usual, end up leading the chase pack. I don't realize this until the turn though because I can't see anything going straight into the sun. Another guy comes around from the outside though, and I jump on his feet for the remainder.

Transition is strength sapping with a fast run up the long, sandy beach. However, I fly through with a flying mount better, quicker and smoother than the vast majority of the ITU pros that raced the previous day. But this is the first race of the year, and I struggle to get in a groove on the bike. My power and cadence constantly surge too high from adrenalin and I end up averaging a wattage far below my goal. To make up for it though my turns are tight as I fly through the transition area at 20mph and stay down pedaling in aero for all but one S-junction and the U-turn for each of the four loops. Average was 23.8mph total which I was quite happy with considering the actual watts averaged. The one lap where I was able to hit my target watts I went 24.5mph, which isn't too far off the fastest guys at just a hair over 25mph.

Dismount from the bike is smooth and fast and though my legs are toast I hit my running stride immediately. From here I don't know what to expect so I keep it at threshold the whole way and only let one guy pass me. I'm off the pace here a bit as well though as the plan was for a 19 flat 5k and I come through that mark about 30 seconds back (run course was a bit long). For a first race though I can't complain as I started on time and the fitness was there, it was just a bit rusty. I got a feeling it's going to be quite fun this season as I start to hit my stride in the races ahead.

Photo Courtesy of Duncan Productions.

3 comments:

  1. Good job Bryan! I don't know if you remember me. We did a couple of rides together last year in Clermont. I thought I saw you yesterday at the NTC.
    Boki

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would have been me! I'm back in town for a couple of months training. Hitting up some big swimming currently. We should go ride again soon!

    ReplyDelete