Saturday, February 11, 2012

Florida Training Camp: Part Deux

Arriving in Florida a couple of nights ago was like leaving the frozen foods section of the grocery store. It was below 40 in Tennessee with the sun shining bright when I left and above 50 and relatively warm and comfortable as I stepped out into a dark, late Florida night. As I awoke to a comfortable 60 degree morning I was again, in shock of how nice some people have it in what I like to call the winter wonderlands of the world. It was time to bike. A lot.

With the temperature moving past 70 it was going to be a good day. And that it was as I headed north from Gainesville up through the Lake Butler Wildlife Conservation Area and back. All in all a good 80 mile day at a decent 18mph average. Though from mile 20 on it wasn't easy. Oddly, the previously hurt knee, responsible for my current lack of running, decided to bother and worry me throughout. Miles 40-60 were the worst. But then, with the threat of rain coming, and a tailwind showing up, I made good time from there in. However, after finishing, I knew I'd gone too fast. I was worn down. Very worn down.

The day started off as if I hadn't even ridden the day before. I felt great. Though the previous night was a bit rough, with the temperature being too hot to sleep until almost midnight, and desperately needing a shower, my legs didn't seem to be phased from the previous day like they had felt immediately after.

And then I flatted. The attempted patch, as usual, didn't work. Luckily, I was carrying a spare tube and had enough Co2 to get back to my car and air it up the rest of the way. From there, things got a little better for awhile. Until I realized I still had 50 miles to go. And the wind was picking up. Seemingly changing directions often. But at least the scenery got better once I headed east through the Paynes Prairie State Preserve and jumped on the Hawthorne rail trail. Here I found some others to ride with which provided a much needed mental boost for the next 20 miles.

After that though, it was 20 more miles to go but my body was already done. Though the temperature was in the 60's I soon started to get chills. My legs actually felt fine, but my body was really not feeling right. From there on it was a struggle the whole (slow) way back, and the average for the day dropped to a low 16mph. With the wind, the flat and whatever happened at the end though, I'll take it.

I finished just in time. In time to grab some food and make it over to check out the neighborhood pool I had finally found. Amazingly, it was a gem. The only one open in the winter. I can see why. I was the only one there. It was glorious. The first shower after two 80 mile days on the bike... is something so incredible as to be indescribable to anyone who has never experienced something similar. The pool not only had lap lanes but it was salt water as well. All for less than $2. My prayers had been answered.

Maybe it was the large quantity of food. Maybe it was one of the electrolytes or minerals found in the recovery shake I had after my ride. Or maybe it was simply motivation returning after one amazing shower. I was starting to worry since these initial two rides had already seemingly taken so much of a toll, physically and mentally. But once in the pool, I never even felt them.

I'm now feeling fresh and ready for the next day. The next workout. And the one after that. For the next three weeks. The hardest three week period. I will have yet to experience. The goal: 1500 miles. I will get there. If I have to fly to do it.

Literally. I will get on a plane...

No comments:

Post a Comment