Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Injured Again

Well, not really again. Same injury. But now it's decided it does not like cycling, if forced to do it all day, every day. The left knee, which I have self-diagnosed with some form of Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome (more commonly known as Runner's Knee), had started to hurt again after the recent big bike rides. But not during.

Until yesterday. Indicating it was getting worse. Though the pain is laughably small and is easily distracted by such things as higher intensity, it is there, and it is telling me to back off, before I create a really serious problem.

Luckily though, I have found an inexpensive salt water pool here. And the weather is good. So for the next couple of days I can focus my energy on swimming (remember to kick from the hip, and not the knee...) and seeing how the knee heals. It'll be tough not doing too much and reinjuring an old, long-term, here to stay, shoulder problem. But with caution, I should be able to continue my big training, if not quite as big as I'd hoped.

This poses another problem, however. In that of what to do with all the time I was going to spend biking. Strength work to help rehab the knee will take up some of that time, as will the swimming. But that still leaves the vast majority of the day. Well, hopefully the wonderful employees of a particular Starbucks in town won't mind me moving in for awhile...

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear about the injury. Hopefully it heals up quickly.

    Thomas Gerlach
    Professional Triathlete
    www.thomasgerlach.com

    ReplyDelete