Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Battling with Anemia

The last couple of months since Redman have been rough. So many ups and downs. So much struggling. Too much rest. No desire to write. No desire to read. Or do anything, at all.

The week after Redman was a struggle, mentally, to move. At this point, I think I simply needed rest. Racing the Sprint and Half back to back took a lot more out of me than even I thought it would. For awhile though, I couldn't understand why I couldn't get myself off the couch. Motivation was non-existant.

I tried after a couple days, but literally failed. Two workouts had my legs feeling fatigued to the bone and I was back on the couch for another couple days.

This time I started slow and tried to build even slower. By day 3 of easy workouts, I was struggling just to finish a slow, 4 mile run. Something was very wrong.

My first guess? Anemia. Since easy training was not making things better, but instead worse, I popped an iron supplement to see what it would do. The next day I had the best run interval workout I've ever had. I thought for sure I had things figured out. I mean, problem solved, right?

Well what happened is I listened to everyone else tell me that I was simply overtrained and that it was a coincidence and taking iron supplements was risky. So I stopped. I figured if it was iron deficiency, I would just cut out the enormous amount of fine Japanese green tea that I brew and drink every day and focus on a high iron and vitamin C diet to help it absorb.

Well it didn't exactly work, as I had a terrible race at the US Open, and then proceeded to run my body into the ground for the next couple of weeks with a lot of hard run training. Though I was able to do quite a bit more work on the high iron absorption diet, I still wasn't close to right. By the time, I was getting prepped for my next race, the Fall Classic Duathlon, I knew something was very wrong. This time I ascribed it to overtraining.

Surprisingly, I still raced fairly well at the duathlon, taking 3rd for the state championship event. However, I felt like I had been racing for 5 hours afterwards, and not the hour and a half that it took. I decided to try a week off and see what happens.

After struggling to keep myself indoors for a solid week of good weather, I couldn't wait to get back to training. But when I did, it felt like my fitness had completely deserted me. I felt very fresh, but I was very slow. My watts were down about 10% on the bike and my run pace had slowed by more than a minute per mile. And I simply wasn't really recovering from the easy workouts I was doing. How could I expect to qualify for Kona, much less Vegas again, like this!?

By the next week, I wasn't just back where I was a month ago, struggling with slow, easy 4 mile runs, I was even starting to get sick. I never get sick. Not without so much training stress, work stress, and lack of sleep that my entire body breaks down and finally succumbs to illness. No way I could get sick while resting and sleeping all the time without something being very very wrong.

The illness also did not go away in a day like normal. So for three days I suffered along, until, finally I decided I had to revisit the anemia hypothesis and go get my blood tested. Well I decided not to wait on those test results. There were just too many signs. My systolic blood pressure had magically dropped 10-15 points consistently. I got a slight headache. I never get headaches. I felt tired during and after recovery workouts. My body was even starting to ache in a way that was dull, but constant and uncomfortable enough to make getting to sleep difficult.

It was time. I was ready to try anything. I again popped an iron supplement, and the very next day I was miraculously not sick anymore and running 20 seconds per mile faster for the same heart rate while actually feeling good during and after the run. The next day I rode half-Ironman watts at the same heart rate and effort as I did while in taper and racing at Redman! A few days of iron supplements later and another 20 seconds per mile had dropped off my run pace!

It was unbelievable. The energy started flowing back. In a matter of days. I'm now even writing again! Turns out that my fitness hadn't completely deserted me after all.

Now here's the kicker. The blood tests show that my iron levels are good, and that my hematocrit is actually 2% higher than when I was tested last year. I'm not anemic. Am I now completely and utterly confused? Absolutely. But as long as I'm on track to getting my training back to normal, I'm at least happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment