Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Redman Halfmax National Championship

After dehydrating and struggling just to run at the World Championship in Vegas, I was determined that this race would be different. Well it was. I made the opposite mistake. Two miles into this run, my legs were fresh, I was well-hydrated, I was running relatively fast, but I was already battling horrendous side stitches from running with a stomach too full of fluid.

Two weeks ago, I had recovered surprisingly well from my disastrous and tough race in Vegas. But as soon as I arrived in Oklahoma, I was immediately battling allergies worse than any I'd ever had. Which, once again, put a hamper on the intense, finishing workouts I wanted to get in before race day. However, on race day, it didn't matter all that much, the fitness was once again there.

After a long (literally, it was a long course), but solid swim, I was again on the bike and feeling very strong. Surprisingly though, this was a much faster national championship than I had thought, and I had to hold myself back as I was passed by several riders at the start. For most of the first half of the ride, I was mostly alone, riding at my specific power output. However, at the turnaround, I was caught and passed by a paceline of riders. At first I thought it to be a draft pack, but closer inspection showed that they were mostly riding legal, if maybe taking a bit long to pass each other at times. It was perfect. I picked the power up a bit to latch on and make sure I wasn't going to be left behind.

This is when I realized exactly how much a benefit a paceline can have. Sitting around 5 or 6 bikes back, each bike at a legal distance apart, my power went way down. However, when passing, I was often having to put out over 50% more power than my target at times just to make sure I could pass everyone in the required amount of time (to stay legal). After awhile, I started to realize it was probably a good idea just to sit in somewhere if I could.

Unfortunately, it was at this time that I could no longer hold it in. I had been overcompensating for underhydrating two weeks ago, and now I had reached a point where I could no longer stand it. I had to go. So for the first time, I stopped pedaling, and watched as a stream gushed out of my shorts and down my leg and all over my bike. And the paceline disappeared in the distance.

I was now in the last hour of racing though, and still felt very fresh. Heart rate was very low this time, and I felt it was time to bump the power up and see what happens. It took miles to catch the paceline, but once I did I soon left them behind as they started to drop off. In no time, I was back on the edge of the lake, racing around it in anticipation of a blazing fast run.

And there it was again. Except way worse since I was running. My stomach was not only too full of fluids, but my bladder as well. As I blazed out of transition, I started to realize the mistake I had made. There was no bathroom anywhere in sight. I had just left it behind. I was going to have to run quite a ways before I was going to find one.

I did, of course, but I barely made it another mile before the side stitches started to get really bad. At this time, I made the decision to stop taking in fluids, except for a few sips at each aid station. Since I was also getting my nutrition from aid stations I knew it was going to be dicey if I could make it to the end before I bonked. However, the side stitches were keeping me from dropping under a 6:30/mi run pace, and I did not want them getting worse.

It turned out to be another mistake. The last several miles I slowed considerably from the lack of nutrition, and of course, still had to battle side stitches. Still though, at least I wasn't hot and extremely dehydrated. In fact, with temps under 90 and plenty of ice and cold spongues it felt almost cool at times. I was likely still very dehydrated at the finish, but it was nothing like my experience two weeks ago. Overall, it was a solid race that taught me yet another lesson about race nutrition and ended with a very positive 2nd in age group placement and a PR of 4:36:01 (not bad considering the long swim and rough roads).

Still though, like always, for more than an hour after the race was over, the pain was almost as bad as it had been during the last few miles of the race. Fairly normal for me after a race of this distance. But, how the heck was I going to get up and race again tomorrow!?

No comments:

Post a Comment